10 Popular Meditations To Help You Unwind
According to a 2021 Gallup poll, people living in the U.S. are the most stressed in the world. And work is one of the biggest factors contributing to this stress. If this is you all day, every day, then meditating can help you deal.
Below are some of the most popular; you’ll find one or two that fits your style.
1. Guided meditation. Great for beginners, guided meditation uses a teacher to guide you through the basic steps of meditating. This can be done in person or via apps, podcasts, or videos.
2. Unguided meditation. Done alone, unguided meditation involves sitting quietly and paying attention to your body and your thoughts for a certain period of time.
3. Visualization. This practice involves picturing something, or someone, in your mind while focusing on how that image makes you feel mentally and physically.
4. Reflection. For this type of meditation, you ask yourself a question, like “What matters to me the most?” and focus on your feelings (not your thoughts) about this question.
5. Yoga meditation. There are a number of styles of yoga meditation, but the most important part of any yoga meditation is the Relaxation Pose, which serves as a way to relax your body and relieve tension.
6. Chakra meditation. With chakra meditation, your goal is to keep your body’s core chakras (which are known as your centers of energy) open, aligned, and fluid.
7. Walking meditation. While taking a walk, focus on how your body feels and moves, as well as the sights, sounds, and smells around you.
8. Mindfulness meditation. Instead of thinking about the past or future, focus on the present moment without passing any judgment as to what is happening.
9. Breathing meditation. This is a type of mindful meditation where you breathe slowly and deeply, counting and focusing on your breath.
10. Tai Chi. Sometimes called “moving meditation because it promotes serenity through gentle movements — connecting the mind and body.